Broken Faith

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Faith

Fire burns inside your soul, water is drying you'r thurst but not too enough, earth is under your feets but you are drowning in quicksand, air is all around you but you are losing your breath becouse all the rush around you

Latest topics

» ATB
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm by MooNShADoW

» Kaladont
Iced Earth EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 pm by Dardemore

» Irina i Storm
Iced Earth EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm by Dardemore

» the Scorpions
Iced Earth EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 am by elfen lied

» Avantasia
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 pm by Dardemore

» now playing
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 pm by Dardemore

» spaaamm
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 pm by Dardemore

» Univerzalna pojavnost i koresponedcija presvetog broja sedam
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 4:54 pm by tehuti

» Alogia
Iced Earth EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 2:07 pm by elfen lied

Navigation

Affiliates

2 posters

Iced Earth

Dardemore
    Dardemore
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 309
    Registration date : 2008-12-25

Iced Earth Empty Iced Earth

Post by Dardemore Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Those very different challenges must be accounted for in a musician's vision if they are to have a remote shot of making a living as a songwriter. The clearer the vision, the clearer the path to be taken, although vision and marketing alone don't guarantee a successful journey. A myriad of intangibles must also come into play at exactly the right times. The few uncompromising musicians who pride themselves on the integrity of their craft can surely plan to encounter a path less traveled and sewn with more mountains and valleys than the road clogged with chameleons sacrificing their visions to cash in on the current fads. For two decades, Jon Schaffer and his vehicle, ICED EARTH, have taken the long, high road of non-compromise to reach the rarified air breathed by those few who enjoy lasting commercial success writing and performing music in the Heavy Metal genre.

While the journey to the top continues on, it certainly appears that the roughest roads of ICED EARTH’S journey are behind them. The dead end streets are now recognized for what they are and the open highway lies ahead for ICED EARTH. The vehicle's tank remains full of Jon's unique blend of high-octane passion and desire. Lessons learned over the past 20 years ("getting ripped off," and "getting had," not to mention "getting old," and "getting grey") have provided Jon with the ability to navigate through the fog and illusions of the music industry. But it wasn't always that way.

Today’s ICED EARTH highway started in the early 1970s on nothing more than an average American side street in northeast Indiana. It was there, in a humble blue-collar town, where Jon was first exposed to music from legendary bands such as KISS, BLACK SABBATH, BLUE OYSTER CULT, and ALICE COOPER. By the age of four, Jon had become a dedicated fan to the sounds of hard rock and heavy metal. Jon’s exposure to the world of hard and heavy music came from his older sister. The two spent many hours in their youth escaping some of the harsh realities around them by listening to the bands that would be responsible in shaping what would become Iced Earth. In 1979, a life-changing event took place when Jon’s father took him to see KISS at the age of 11. The sonic experience combined with a bombastic stage show only KISS could deliver struck a lifelong “curse” upon Jon that night – an unrelenting and uncompromising desire to constantly push his talents to the limits and to write songs worthy of his name.

As is the case with so many teens making the transformation from adolescence to adulthood, Jon would become increasingly frustrated with authority figures. The frustration was not born so much from the authority that adults possessed, but rather that many of these adults didn’t take lightly to their authority being questioned.

Photo by Ross HalfinAll children are born with a sense of curiosity. Adults have the option to embrace it, or crush it. At a very young age, Jon’s curiosity was driven by a need to understand not just how things work, but why they work. That desire for understanding is as strong today as it was in his youth. “That’s just the way it’s going to be,” or, “Because I said so,” weren’t satisfactory answers for Jon. Questioning authority was a right Jon held sacred. Unfortunately, a few of the clergy entrusted to provide Jon with a Lutheran education found his right to question the system and it’s beliefs anything but sacred. Such negative experiences left scars that would later provide inspiration for the soon-to-be songwriter.

The above is not to suggest that Jon was a saint while growing up in Indiana – he certainly wasn’t. His attitude towards authority was tainted by a growing, bitter resentment of authority figures that could not provide answers for their actions. These negative sources of authority would in-turn poison his views of all authority, even the authority that loved and cared for him most.

The frustration of Jon’s teen years in Indiana culminated with the tragic death of his best friend who lost his life to a motorcycle accident. His mind clouded and in need of respite, Jon would make the biggest decision of his life in deciding to leave home in 1984 at the age of 16 with only a cantankerous used car and a couple of hundred dollars to his name. A thousand miles away from the distractions in Indiana, Jon would start paving the roads in Tampa, Florida to take him to the land he promised himself that night in 1979.

If Jon didn’t know it already, he would soon learn that for every action there is a reaction. Jon traded his parent’s roof for the roof of his car that doubled as his home early in Tampa. When that car was totaled in an accident that nearly took his life, the metal roof was traded for leaking wooden roves of abandoned homes. Street smarts, not book smarts would be needed to keep the 16 year-old alive on the streets of Tampa. Income earned from jobs as a day laborer provided the income necessary to save enough money to get an apartment and eventually led to being hired as a laborer for a roofing company. Jon spent the next three years doing hot mop roofing in the Florida sun during the day, and building the vision of his band and rehearsing at night.

At the time the band was called Purgatory, and eventually became Iced Earth when he changed the name in 1988. Jon’s first vision of his band began life under the moniker THE ROSE, which was very short lived. A bit of THE ROSE lives on however, as the font Jon used for the band’s logo went on to be used in the PURGATORY logo and ICED EARTH’s current day logo. He designed the logo for THE ROSE in graphics art class, early in the year as a sophomore in high school. These are the only bands that Jon has ever been involved in, and has led the way in each and every one, all the way through to present day.

The harsh realities of living a homeless life on the street forced Jon to grow up fast. America was a land of opportunity, but it wasn’t going to give him anything for free. Everything had to be earned. To his credit, he was keenly aware of this when deciding to leave home. Sacrifice, determination, integrity, and unwillingness to compromise would be the tools used to pave the early dirt roads and then widen them into streets of opportunity. Ironically, these lessons were learned from people that had died no less than 200 years before Jon’s birth.

Before leaving Indiana, Jon’s time in school was more a source of aggravation than enjoyment. However, that was not the case when studying history, especially the period of the American Revolution. While many of his peers were decorating their rooms with posters of their favorite sports stars and movie characters, Jon’s room was painted with stars, stripes, and screaming eagles to honor his heroes. They were none other than men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin. Their willingness to stand up for what they believed in and to pursue it at all costs in the face of overwhelming odds struck a chord with Jon that has never stopped resonating. He would use the courage and confidence of his country’s Founding Fathers to build his own sense of self. That sense of self, complimented by the knowledge that anything is possible if you’re willing to totally dedicate yourself to the cause, gave Jon the strength to carry out on his own in Florida despite the odds being stacked squarely against him.

Photo by Ross HalfinKeeping pace with Jon’s pursuit was no easy task. Some band members couldn’t keep up and were replaced. Others grew weary of the chase and left to pursue other career interests. However, important constants set in place in 1984 with the bands first demo, PSYCHOTIC DREAMS; under then band moniker PURGATORY, have never left.

Always grounded by a gut instinct grown keener with each passing year, a work ethic framed by inner integrity, and an unwavering commitment to give ICED EARTH fans nothing less than 100% of what he is capable of, has in turn rewarded Jon and ICED EARTH with one of the most loyal fan bases that any band in any genre could hope to enjoy. A fact that they are extremely appreciative of everyday.

In 2007, Iced Earth released it's eighth full-length studio release, FRAMING ARMAGEDDON (Something Wicked Part 1), which expands the “SOMETHING WICKED” storyline first introduced in the trilogy of the same name appearing on the 1998 release, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. The SOMETHING WICKED story is so expansive and timely that a follow-up, full-length studio release will be issued in Fall 2008 to continue the story where FRAMING ARMAGEDDON ended. The pair of releases will form the pillars of a massive undertaking to tell one of the most complex and epic stories ever attempted in contemporary music. Indeed, the Burning Times for man have just begun…

Iced Earth Icedea10
    elfen lied
    elfen lied
    Administrator
    Administrator

Female
    Number of posts : 257

Iced Earth Empty Re: Iced Earth

Post by elfen lied Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:59 pm

uf, i Iced Earth se uzivo mnogu dobri Razz nemas pojma...

inace, Watching over me, Dracula, Demian, zapravo, 2 albumi mi se mene najbolji: Something wicked this way comes i Horror Show...(osven Dr.Jackyl i uste edna imase pesna dosadna). A question of paradise, kakov tekst, I died for you...inace, Matt Barlow (iako e kelav) e najdobar vokalist za mene, i Tim Ripper moze voda da mu nosi Very Happy
    Dardemore
    Dardemore
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 309

Post by Dardemore Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm

elfen lied wrote:uf, i Iced Earth se uzivo mnogu dobri Razz nemas pojma...

inace, Watching over me, Dracula, Demian, zapravo, 2 albumi mi se mene najbolji: Something wicked this way comes i Horror Show...(osven Dr.Jackyl i uste edna imase pesna dosadna). A question of paradise, kakov tekst, I died for you...inace, Matt Barlow (iako e kelav) e najdobar vokalist za mene, i Tim Ripper moze voda da mu nosi Very Happy

jesteeee sve je tacno svee, i to da Barlow je zaista najbolji naajjjbolji vokal (iako je celav) hihi The phantom opera ghost auuuuuuu damn
    Oh Christine don't you know it's all for you
    Carlotta's head and the other death's I planned.
    All for you, to have your night in the spotlight.
    From now on forevermore you will only sing for me

i

I'm so torn between love, death, life, and hate
    Don't you doubt me, what we have is just our fate.
    I now own you from this day forth; you'll be my slave
    Oh Dear God for this life I've lost the will
    No this can't be I'd rather you die than spoil my dream.
    Myself I'll kill if I can't have you no one will

najbolji delove

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:52 pm